Sunday, May 17, 2009

Week 1

Sorry I have not updated you guys in a couple days, we have either been really busy or the internet has not worked.

The past couple of days have been great! We have spent all our time in Buloba village. Yesterday we started off the morning by eating breakfast with the kids. It was porage (milk and corn). Honestly I did not like it very much so David helped me eat it. It’s sad that I could not eat that one time and they eat it everyday. Two Saturday’s a month the kids spend the day at the church doing activities and are served a meal. We got to help serve this meal. I have never seen pots so big! We served over 150 children. Later that day we walked to the school and had VBS. The kids are great! They are so intrigued by us. Usually I will have three kids per arm, one holding on to my back and one holding onto my front. They just want to be with us at all times.

The hardest thing I have had to adjust to is the bathroom situation. All I will say is that it is a hole in the ground and it is much more difficult for a female to do this, I will just let you think about that one and not go into details.

Today was my favorite day. We woke up and went to Gabba church at 8am. It is very interesting because the people here have no concept of time and just really don’t care. Church starts at 8 but when we got there there were only maybe 40 people there. As the service went on people just came whenever they could. This church has 6,000 members! I know, crazy! We always talk about preparing our heart for worship, well these people really understood that. Every person that walked in to church, no matter what time, would first sit down and pray to themselves and then get up and sing. “You will seek me and find me. When you seek me with all your heart.” Jeremiah 29:13 That church service usually last 2 hours but we had to leave early and go to church in Buloba. The same thing happened there. Church was suppose to start at 9 and we got there at 10 and they had not started. This service was long. We started at 10 and got completely finished around 1. It was really good though. Four people got saved! One of the people was a Muslim! How awesome is that? After church we gave out gifts to the sponsored children and they were so so happy! We did not  have anything planned until that night so we just hung out and talked to the people there. One of my favorite people to talk to is Pastor Isaac. He became the pastor in Buloba last year and has the biggest heart of any man I have ever met. Saturday when we did VBS he played with the kids all day and had more energy than I did! We got to spend some time talking about his vision and goals for the church today and he desires for the people in the community. It was really good to spend a lot of time learning things today about the church and community. Lastly, tonight we watched a movie about the stoning of Stephen and conversion of Paul. At the end of the movie several people came up and said they wanted to be saved. So wow God is so good, we have several new brothers and sisters in Christ today!

One of the guys that works with us, Alfred, is teaching me verses in Luganda and also teaching me how to play one of their instruments that looks like a mix between a guitar and harp.  Who knows, when I come home I might be musically sound and know another language. Haha.

The Lord has shown me a lot about asking and you shall receive as well as knowing that He is in our midst at all times.  “The Lord your God is in your midst.” Zephaniah 3:17. “God is in the midst of her she shall not be moved.” Psalm 46:5. “He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty.” Psalm 91:1. “ I will protect him, because he knows my name. When he calls to me, I will answer him.” Psalm 91;14-15.

Fun Facts: (for you trey)

1.     Average age for women to get married is between 18-20, average age for men to get married is between 34-36

2.     When a person who is older than you walks in the room you kneel. This is especially seen out in the village and not as much in the city. It is also very important when someone gives you something to kneel before them .

3.     A traditional Ugandan meal is eaten in silence. (we do not do a good job with this) It is mainly like this in homes with young children.

4.     A proposal is at the very beginning of a relationship. It is when the man goes and talks to the whole family about what his thoughts are and how he feels towards their daughter. The daughter, mother, father, brothers, sisters, aunts, etc are usually there. He does this before he ever tells the girl he likes her. Then if they are okay with that, they date a while knowing they will get married one day

I will have more fun facts to come. Sorry this is so long. Also, if this does not make sense it is because today was our longest day and I am so tired. Not sure when I will update again, maybe tomorrow? Love you all!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment