Monday, May 18, 2009

Preach the Gospel To All Nations

 

Today was another great day. The Lord did some really amazing things yet again. We began the morning going to the people’s homes in Buloba preaching the Gospel. We split up into five teams. I went with Pastor Isaac and another Buloba man. Once we walked to the homes Pastor Isaac just walked up to a man and started telling him about Jesus. I was like okay I guess were doing this, so the other guy and myself went and talked to a man near by. He could speak English so it was easier. The guy I was with just encouraged him for a while because he was already a Christian. I got to pray over him when he was done. Then it was really cool because some kids began to gather around because their was a muzugoo there (white person, aka me) and one of the kids could speak English really well and so I asked him about Jesus and he said He loved the Lord so we went through some verses while more and more kids gathered around. Before I knew it there were at least 10 kids gathered around listening to us read Scripture. All I could think of was Jesus saying “Let the little children come to me.” We then walked over to four women sitting outside their home with their children. Pastor Isaac talked to them for about 30 minutes in Luganda. I had to just sit their because I could not understand what they were saying, then Pastor Isaac turned to me and said okay they want to accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior lets pray over them. I was like well okay, awesome! I didn’t understand a word for the past 30 minutes and now they are going to accept Christ, great! Haha. We walked to several other people, some who were not so welcoming to Christ. I talked to the guy with us for a while and he was saying that witchcraft, prostitution, and alcoholism are all very prevalent in this town. He also said that a lot of people love the Lord on Sunday and then forget who He is during the week. Sound familiar? The best part of the day came next. Some of you guys wrote me letters and I open them every few days. Today I opened the one from Kyle and it turned out to be the focal point of the whole day. He wrote this verse in it, “For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile – the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for ‘Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.’ How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, ‘How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!” Romans 10:12-15 He also wrote in the letter the Great Commission. This was the most appropriate verse for the day. I showed a lot of people so it would encourage them when we were telling them about the Lord. When we were walking I showed Pastor Isaac the verse and it came in handy later. Our last person to visit was an elderly Muslim lady. She told us that she was a Muslim because it was in her blood, all her ancestors were Muslims. She also said that she believed in God but believed that she could go to God through Allah. She said that some people go to God through Jesus and others can go through Allah. Josh and I were sitting there and we were like man I wish I knew that verse by heart that talks about Jesus being the only way and then Josh looked down and his Bible was opened to John 14:6 which says “ I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” How great is that! Then Pastor Isaac pulled out the Romans verse I was talking about because it went right along with what they were saying (I could not understand that part because they were talking in Luganda) but he asked me for the verse! So that was cool too! We talked to this lady for at least an hour and at the end she asked us to pray that God would stir up her heart to believe in Jesus Christ. She said that she wanted to believe, but that God needed to stir it up in her! Wow! She did not believe just to make us happy, but wanted the Lord to change her heart. That is incredible! I could definitely tell that the presence of the Holy Spirit was there.

When we met up with the other group they said that five people they talked to got saved. They said they went and prayed around the shrine where people practice witchcraft. They also said that they have found bodies of people in the bush beside the shrine where they have sacrificed people before.

We handed out eyeglasses the rest of the day. We got a touch of home when we drove back because we got ice cream and tonight we get pizza! I love the food here, but I am happy to enjoy some good, not healthy American food tonight.

I forgot to tell you the other day we went on a 6-mile prayer walk around Buloba! Yes, I was about to die, but it was good. These people are incredible here. Also, a little side note, we enjoy our dinner and go to bed every night listening to the Muslims sing. There is a Muslim Institution really close to where we are staying.

This was another long one, but I just have so much to say. Wednesday we are going out again to tell people about Jesus so please pray for us. Pray that we would have wisdom and knowledge and that the hearts of the people would be open. Thank you all for praying, the Lord is definitely hearing our prayers and answering them.

2 comments:

  1. CATHERINE!!!! How's it going?! Miss you soooo much!!!! Mrs. Rebbecca gave us cpies of your letter! Thank you so much! I almost cried both times i read it! I hope you are having a wonderful time in Uganda!! I am finally a high school graduate!!!! I am soo excited and happy! I turn 18 on May 21st!!!! You encourage me to do better in life and still have fun! You are an amazing person! when are you supposed to be back?? jw. I am glad that you are having an amazing time there!! Hope you have an amazinly awesome week!!

    WRITE BACK!!!!
    Love you!!
    ~Elizabeth

    P.S.-- What is the i-chat thing??

    e-mail-- Godsgirl2115@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catherine,
    This all is so amazing to hear! God certainly is using you in mighty ways! Loved hearing your letter that you wrote to all the Senior Girls. We certainly gained alot out of having you in our Sunday School class!

    You are truly wonderful Catherine, and what you are doing is making a huge impact for God! I'm keeping ya'll in my prayers and I can't wait to keep reading about what all ya'll are up too!

    Love,
    Carmen Truelove

    ReplyDelete