Thursday, June 24, 2010

Today I met Jesus and Obama's brother


Yesterday was one of my favorite days here in Uganda. We went and walked through the community, which is a slum, where Rays of Hope school is. We went to tell the people about Jesus Christ and I must say it started off very interesting. The first man I met told me that he actually was Jesus Christ. He said that he needed us to fund his work here so that he could preach. He also told us that he was a Muslim. So we met a Muslim, Jesus/ preacher who needs money to tell people about Christ. Another man that I talked to told me that he was Obama's brother. I had to take advantage of this and have a little fun. I asked him how many siblings were in the family and he told me around 200. He also told me that he would take me in one of his six helicopters (which were flown by white people- he made sure I knew that) to Yugoslavia to visit Obama. So Obama is in Yugoslavia? Who knew? Then he said for me to tell Obama his brother said hello and he told me to use his phone that directly connects me to him for free. This conversation pretty much made my day.

However, on a more serious note… We spent the first 45 minutes talking to a Muslim woman and trying to explain to her who Jesus is. She laughed in our face when we talked about him being the Son of God and not a messenger. She said that she would never believe that Jesus is the Son of God. She listened though, the rest is up to the Lord. Her friend was there who is from Gulu (northern part of Uganda where the war is). She had two children, one was mentally disabled and the other one lame. She asked us to pray over her and her children. It just broke my heart to see her children, but also encouraged me to see a mother here still seeking strength to raise these two children. We then walked deeper into the slum and saw some people gathered around drinking out of this very long, thin pipe from a small pot, which I quickly realized was alcohol. They asked us to come over and talk to them. This is where I met Obama's brother. Tori got to talking to this one lady who seemed sincerely interested in who Jesus is. She asked a lot of questions and ended up surrendering her life to Christ. She then asked us to come back with her to her home and meet her family and pray with her. She is a widow with four children. Two of her children were there (they are teenagers) and one of her friends followed us back. We crammed into their small living room and got to share the Gospel with her friend and two children. They surrendered their lives to Christ and asked us to come back to walk them through the Bible while we are here (discipleship, yes please)! " But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us" (2 Corinthians 4:7). " For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek" (Romans 1:16). Lastly, we came to a group of people sitting out selling fruit and vegetables. When we walked by, they asked us to stop and talk to them. One man caught our attention and asked us to tell him about Jesus. He said he was Muslim. We talked about what he believed for a minute and then he asked me to explain to him who Christ is and what is considered sin. I was thrown a little off guard because I realized that in America we get so caught up in the deep theological discussions, that we forget the simplicity of the gospel. " For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel, and not with words of eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power" ( 1 Corinthians 1: 17). Joel also spent some time discussing with him and then he said he wanted to surrender his life to Christ. He also asked us to come back while we are here and take him through the Word. I will admit I was a little hesitant on his sincerity, but I was immediately reminded who am I to judge? The Lord calls me to tell all about Him and He will do the rest. He will seal them with the promised Holy Spirit. I cannot forgot about the power of God and so quickly I do. " I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth" (1 Corinthians 3:6).


We got back to the school in just enough time to be a part of their devotion. Again, it is the best worship time we have here. They follow singing with prayer. They all prayed at the same time out loud, then they laid hands on each one of us and prayed individually for us. Josh, Carrie's friend that came for the week, gave the message. We sang some more and enjoyed the rest of the afternoon hanging out with the kids.


Also, we found out that Victoria has an enlarged heart. Jay took her the next day to the hospital to get some tests run and they said she will be fine. She does not need surgery. Another answer to our prayers!


The Lord continues to allow us to be a part of His miraculous works that happen daily. I just pray that we would have open eye to see them and willingness to obey Him.


"Behold, I am the Lord, the God of all flesh. Is anything too hard for me?" Jeremiah 32:27

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great day and time sharing christ. Yes I believe seeds are planted. Looking forward to trading stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is some powerful stuff. Thanks for sharing!! God is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't help but notice the status you put on fb on 7/8/2010... For me to live is Christ, to die is gain. Who would know that only a short time later you would be so very close to the same?! May His love continue to be walked out in your life, so that His light may shine brightly. Praying... Love you, ms g

    ReplyDelete