Saturday, June 19, 2010

A month into it all...

We are now about half way through our time here. It is crazy to think that we have already been here a month! This past week the Lord really helped me take a step back from everything and look at all that is taking place. To take a look at how the Lord is intertwining everything together and there is a greater story in process than we can see now. I can see a lot more coming together and know that I am in a season of learning and waiting. Walking by the Spirit and waiting are the two key things now that is a must from us in order to gain discernment and wisdom. The greatest thing to discover for me right now is seeing the work the Lord has done in me since I was young being pieced together and given meaning.

As some of you know we took all 17 of the kids to the doctor for check-ups last week and not one of them have HIV, typhoid, or malaria. Talk about a blessing from the Lord! Seventeen orphans and none of them have HIV! That is a miracle in itself. We did however have some funny stories after our doctor’s visits. Carrie and I took the first five together. Vanita has been sick so she had a permanent IV in her hand and would get medicine put in it everyday. Well, Carrie decided to sit back there with her while they put more medicine in her hand. About 2 minutes into this I hear, “Catherine, Catherine, I can’t do this! I am about to pass out. Catherine!” So I walked back there and Carrie came out to sit on the chair and when I turned around Carrie looked up at me and then just flipped out of her chair! Ha, five minutes into this and Carrie has passed out. I was thinking, if we can’t get Carrie through this there is no way that 17 children are going to make it when they draw their blood. Lets just say that that was Carrie’s last trip to the doctor. Tori and I finished up the rest.

We have also been able to spend a good bit of time at Joel’s school, Rays of Hope. We are helping paint the rooms and are trying to finish up some small projects he has for us. Wednesday’s are their devotion days for the older students and this week we decided to join them. The students led us in singing and dancing. It was probably the best worship time I have had since we have been here. I sat amongst the students this time and sang, danced, and prayed with them and just felt immersed in the love and joy of Christ. Allen ended up giving the message and Joel told him to ask if any of the students wanted to surrender their lives to Christ. As soon as he asked 30-40 students jumped up to the front. I stood amazed for the next fifteen minutes as everything played out. Joel was sure to explain to them that this can’t have anything to do with white people being here. We stood up there with them for the next 15 minutes and explained to them, the best way we could, the Gospel and what it means to surrender your life to Christ.

The Spirit of the Lord is moving, through these kids, through the kids at Sozo, through our time with Kenneth (our driver), and throughout this city as those kids go and tell their parents and as we walk the streets in the community sharing the good news. I am excited about the upcoming week because we will be finishing up our work at Joel’s school so that we can spend our time in the community telling the people about Christ.

Relationships are being reconciled. Opportunities to share Christ are arising left and right. Students are surrendering their lives to Christ. Their parents are hearing the Gospel and seeing the joy of Christ in them. Orphans are being cared for. We are growing and learning. I would say that so far it hasn’t been too bad of a summer. Glory be to the Lord

Just a few fun facts… I tried to kill a chicken last week and got half way through because I could not get through the skin and gave up. It was too much for me to handle. However, I have been told that I would have to try again tomorrow. Jay and Allen have both tried grasshoppers and I too might have to give that a try. Kenneth said he would let me drive the car to the orphanage one day (not to sure about doing that). Bungee jumping is quickly approaching as well… African adventures continue!

2 comments:

  1. Catherine...great note. Thanks for the update. Sounds like two-way blessings taking place. Good luck with the chicken tomorrow. Get pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." -James 1:27

    You are doing EXACTLY that!
    So glad you are able to blog! I love reading about all that is going on over there!

    ReplyDelete