Thursday, June 4, 2009

Mulago Hospital

I think that yesterday was our hardest day so far. We went back to Mulago Hospital and this time we were able to do more things inside it. We started off in the labor ward, which was a lot different here than in America. There were at least fifty plus women lined in the halls and open areas waiting to give birth. They would lay down wherever they could find a place. We walked inside the door to only find more and more women waiting in a very small area. Dr. Martin took us to meet the lady that we were going to work with and when we walked in a lady had just given birth and was helping clean up the area. She didn’t make it to the actual area they give birth so it was in a very small room, not really even enough room for the four of us. I mean this lady had given birth literally two minutes before we walked in and she was already in her normal clothes, cleaning up and ready to walk out. It is like they give birth then the nurse says, “okay, next.” They then took us to a room where the image will never leave my mind and the smell will never leave my memory. When I walked in Lauren and I immediately looked at each other in shock. This was a very small room packed with naked women lying on about ten beds each of them ready to give birth at any moment. There was no privacy, no room, no husband, and one nurse for all of them. When we asked how old the women were they said 17,18, 19, 20, and 21!  For the rest of the day I was pretty quiet and just in shock at what all I had seen.

When we left the labor ward Dr. Martin took us to the Pediatric ward, which was almost harder to be in. We met a little girl that looked about 2 or 3. Her mom had abandoned her and left her at the hospital. She was so skinny. You could see her ribs, her spinal cord was poking out, and her arms where tiny. It was sad because Lauren and I carried her around. I had only been holding her for five minutes and she was attached. She would not let anyone take her from me and if they did she wanted me to take her back. As we left she just watched us confused. She looked at us like “why aren’t you taking me with you?” My heart was completely broken at this point. We then walked to the cancer patient ward and saw both children and adults who were struggling. I really just don’t know much of what to say because the things I saw could only be understood by your own eyes. We also went to the malnutrition ward where kids were fighting for their lives because their parents couldn’t or wouldn’t feed them or they were battling HIV. It was a hard day taking in and seeing just a glimpse of what goes on at that hospital. I am not writing this as a plea for Africa or to make you feel guilty, but just to try and show you even a glimpse of something outside of America. Guys, we have it good, really good. If nothing else, don’t take it for granted. 

1 comment:

  1. wow, that's incredible!

    thanks for the continual updates... pray your time there finishes strong!

    ReplyDelete